Thursday, September 18, 2014

Open Source Software




This particular blog is about my favorite open source software or product. Open source software is everywhere on the internet. Even most of our blogs are run by BlogSpot or WordPress right now. I do not particularly have a favorite but I do have a few that I like. The open source product/software that I plan on talking about is Mozilla Firefox. As you all know it is a web browser available on Windows, Apple OS X, Linux, and android devices. When it comes down to what browser I use more I would have to say Firefox. 

This browser is arguably the most software for internet browsing due to its privacy features.
Firefox limits scripts from accessing data from other web sites. This browser also has add and pop up blockers for sites that users don’t intend on coming up. Most people don’t know but the Mozilla Foundation offers what they call a “bug bounty” which is a $3000 cash reward for researchers who discover severe security holes that the Firefox browser may have. Firefox does not have as many or fewer publically known security issues when compared to other browser's which is why I choose to use it more.
 

Firefox comes loaded with plenty of features including basic features and newer more updated features. Some include bookmarks, pop-up blocking, download manager, find as you type, session restore, spell checker, smart tool bar, add-ons, themes, and many more. I probably use the bookmarks, pop-up blocking, and download manager more than any other features that are offered by this browser. All of the other features offered are just a plus in my book. Firefox also allows its users to customize the browser and access apps, which is a step forward as far as open source browser features. According to the Firefox website, it is currently the fastest when compared to other browsers like Chrome, Opera, internet explorer, and Opera Next. Due to these key features I plan on using this software browser for many days to come and look forward to what they have in store for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment